Sealants can protect teeth from decay for many years, but they need to be checked for wear and chipping at routine dental visits.
Reasons for Sealants:
- Sealants have been found to successfully reduce cavities in back teeth by nearly 80% for at least two years.
- They can continue to prevent about 50% of potential cavities for up to four years.
- In some cases, sealants have protected teeth against cavities to some degree 10 years after application.
How Dental Sealants Are Applied
- The surface of the tooth is cleaned and dried.
- A solution is applied to roughen the tooth’s surface so the sealant will bond with it.
- The liquid sealant is brushed onto the roughened surface.
- Depending on the sealant used, a curing light may be used to harden it.